Sunday, August 7, 2016

Summer Break and I Are Going on Break.

Well, hasn't the summer gone by fast?
(u_u)
By the time most of you are reading this, I'll be in a classroom starting another year of school.

I really need to stop thinking about that.
Anyway, this week was a lot of fun for me. I went to a concert where my favorite band of all time was playing, and my friend and I were screaming the whole time.

How was your week?
:)

So, since that's the only thing I really have to talk about, I'll get right into the review:
The Girl At Midnight by Melissa Grey
I thought the Goodreads Summary was really good and I'm short on time during the back to school prep, so that is the link to the summary.
****
Four Stars
This was a really really nice refresher from the normal YA books. If you walk through the YA and kids section of Barnes and Nobles, you can sum up almost all action-adventure/fantasy novel with this one sentence:
A normal kid finds out he/she had extraordinary powers and has to go on a large adventure.
(This sentence fits this book in some ways, which if you read the book you will find out why. No spoilers here.)
But with The Girl At Midnight, the main character is a normal, human, seventeen year-old girl. Her friends are a different species, but they are considered normal for their species (except the fact that one of them is good in battle, one is a healer, and the other is an exceptional flirt.)
Jasper, I'm looking at you.
 And yes, they are searching for something, but it's not this HUGE adventure everyone knows about. They try to keep it on the DL.
The action is kickbutt, as is the romance, and the societies of the different species are in so much detail I feel like they actually exist. I haven't seen that sort of thing in an action/fantasy book ever.
And may I just say:
I SHIP ALL THE SHIPS.
ALL OF THEM.

The only reason I didn't give this book five stars is because the beginning did start out a little slow and there were parts of the book that were as slow as the beginning.
But still, overall, a great read!

I'm sorry this was such a short review.
I will try to do MMGM throughout the school year, but if I don't , just assume I have a lot of homework.
:)
Also, I am going to do a review sometime in early September, so stay tuned for that!
Have great week!
:)

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, school. I start on Thursday :( The book sounds awesome! And I'm always looking for new ships XD I might have to give this book a try! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, school. I start on Thursday :( The book sounds awesome! And I'm always looking for new ships XD I might have to give this book a try! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The struggle is real, Sue.
      I am always on the hunt for new ships as well. It's a fangirl thing.
      XD

      Delete
  3. This sounds like an interesting read. I agree about YAs starting to sound alike, but this sounds like a fresh twist. I always like it when the main character doesn't have any special powers. Good luck with school!

    ReplyDelete