Sunday, October 23, 2016

Logan Lerman's Smirk and My Library of Greek Mythology Books.

Hellooooooo!!!!
It was a very long week for me. I'm holding out until Winter Break.
58 days.
I have two months.
-.-

Anyway, onto the BOOK HAUL!!!!!!
This week it's Greek mythology reference books that every middle school kid should read.
(Just a warning: I have too many Greek mythology books.)
Exhibit A:
(And I'm pretty sure I have more than those.)

Best Short, Straightforward book:
The Mythology Handbook
Year of Publishing: 2009
Publishing House: Candlewick press
Genre: Informational, Greek Mythology
Age: Children's/Middle Grade
Short/Long Read: VERY Short Read (I read this in a day.)
Rating Out Of Five: **** (Four Stars)
This book gives you straightforward information about the gods, monsters, and heroes in the Greek mythology world. It also has stickers in the back and a guide to the language of Ancient Greek, with extra copies of it so you and your friend can pass notes to each other in Ancient Greek during Social Studies. (Teachers, you thought you got us with note passing...just wait until I use this!!!)This doesn't go into deep descriptions of everything, but it is a book of accurate stories for someone who just wants to dip a toe in the sea of Greek mythology.

Best Comedy books:
Percy Jackson's Greek Gods and Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes
By Rick Riordan

Year of Publishing: Greek Gods-2015 Greek Heroes-2015
Publishing House: Disney Hyperion
Genre: Informational, Greek Mythology, Comedy
Age: Children's Middle Grade
Short/Long Read: In between. I can read these within a week and a half, but you can most definitely stretch out reading these books.
Rating Out Of Five: *** (Three Stars)
These books are great because, ya know, IT'S PERCY JACKSON.
So WHY NOT read it?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......
Maybe because it's inaccurate???
I know, I know. How can something that's fake be inaccurate? Well, the way Rick Riordan messed up is that his stories don't always match up with all the other stories that have been told in other books about Greek Mythology. So, these books (along with the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and the Heroes Of Olympus series) aren't the best reference books.
However, the content is hilarious and the pictures (Yes, there are pictures!!! XD) are amazing.

Best Accurate Storytelling book:
Treasury of Greek Mythology
By Donna Jo Napoli
Year of Publishing: 2011
Publishing House: National Geographic Society
Genre: Informational, Greek Mythology
Age: Children's/Middle Grade
Short/Long Read: In between.
Rating Out Of Five: **** (Four Stars)
This book was very accurate (as it is National Geographic) and the pictures were pretty good. It tells the stories of the gods, heroes, and monsters in depth. It's not as much fun as Percy Jackson's Greek Gods and Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes, but it is a really good book for someone who wants to dive head first into Greek mythology and wants to learn something new about it.

Other great Greek mythology books you absolutely MUST read:
Mythlopedia: Oh My Gods!
This is a straightforward, yet comedic take on the Greek gods.

Olympians
By George O'Connor
I've read Hera and Athena. This is a series of graphic novels that explain the life of a certain Greek god. These are great books!!! My cousin gave this to me as a gift after she met the author and he signed Hera and Athena.
My cousin is super cool.

D'aulaires' Book Of Greek Myths
This book tells stories about the gods, minor gods, mythological creatures, and mortal descendants of Zeus. This is a great book that I eventually ended up having to read for school, so this book has knowledge of Greek mythology that is useful to have in your back pocket. (This book was also the first mythology book I ever read, and it was the start of my fascination with it.)

Well, that's it for this week. Not a lot of news for you guys from me, but how have y'all been? Thanks for sticking with me through my random hiatuses and rants.
:)
Have a great week!
:)
(Yes, you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment